Placebo Freakshow Forum

Meatballs and pastas

« Older   Newer »
Hinahon
view post Posted on 1/7/2009, 16:22

For those who don't like red meat, I tried it with chicken, it's really good. So if you don't like beef or pork, just put chicken

* Meatballs and pasta: (serve 4 - 6)

* Ingredients:
- 4 springs of fresh rosemary
- 12 crackers (i used some classic slaty crackers, just use what you find)
- 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 500 g meat (either beef, pork or chicken as you like)
- 1 heaped tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- fresh basil
- 1 medium onion (normal onion but works well with red onion too)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 fresh or dried red chili (chili powder works too, i usually use 1 teaspoon of powder if i don't have fresh or dried chili)
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (no need to buy expensive one, the cheapest do the trick ^^)
- 400g dried pastas (spaghetti, penne, whatever you feel like doing)
- Parmesan cheese (again, no need for expensive brand or stuff like that, any will do)

* To make the meatballs:

- In a bowl, put the meat, the mustard.
- Pick the rosemary leaves off the woody stalks and finely chop them. Add this to the meat.
- Wrap the crackers in a towel and smash up (i do this by smashing them on the table) until fine, breaking up any big bits up with your hands. Add this to the meat.
- Also add the oregano to the meat.
- Crack the egg in the bowl with meat and add salt and pepper (don't put too much in the begining, when you'll be done with mixing meat up, try a bit and see if you need to put more salt. Better having not enough than too much).
- With clean hands (of course ^^) mix up well.
- Divide into 4 large balls and then divide each ball into 4 and roll into little meatballs. It's easier to try to get them around the same size. It may be easier to roll them with wet hands. If you do it with chicken, it will be a bit sticky, but don't worry it works just as fine. You should end up with 24 meatballs (but in the end, no one's gonna kill you if you end up with more or less, just don't do HUGE meatballs or they'll be difficult to cook).
- Put the meatballs on a plate and coat them with a little bit of olive oil (not too much :P) Them, cover and put in the fridge until needed.

* To cook your sauce:

- Pick the basil leaves, keep the smaller one on a side for later.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Pinely slice the chili (you might want to take off the seeds to make sure it's not TOO hot).
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add some olive oil (here i need to use less fat, so i can tell you that a small tablespoon of olive oil is enough ^^).
- Add the onion to the frying pan and stir for around 7 minutes until it's lightly golden and softened.
- Then, add the garlic and chili. As soon as they start to colour, add the basil leaves.
- Add the tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to the boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Then, I usually leave it on low heat for around 10 min. before taking it off the fire and wait till needed. No need to put in the fridge.

* To cook the meatballs:

- Heat another large frying pan. He puts some more olive oil, but if you wait a bit till your pan is hot, you won't need to put more oil than what you already put on the meatballs. Put the meatballs into the pan.
- Stir them around and cook for 8 - 10 minutes (with chicken, it might take longer, i let mine around 15min) until golden (check by opening a meatball, there should be no sign of pink)

* To cook the pasta:

- Put a large pan of salted water on to boil.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions.

* To finish the dish and serve:
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer until the pasta is ready. Then remove from the heat.
- Save some of the cooking water and drain the pasta in a colander.
- Return the pasta to the pan and add half of the sauce.
- Add a bit of the cooking water.
- Serve on a large platter or in separate bowls (even in the pan would do) with the rest of sauce and meatballs on the top.
- Sprinkle over the small basil leaves and some grated Parmesan.

0 replies since 1/7/2009, 16:22   8 views